I bought the yarn for this from Bobbins in Whitby at the end of May (see this post), and took it on holiday with me in June. Having looked at the sizing, and the finished measurements, I decided to do the 38" size, which would apparently finish at an actual measurement of 43.5", which seemed plenty. Luckily by the time I actually came to cast on, I'd completely forgotten this refinement, and cast on for the 40" size as normal. I started with the back, and carefully watched the fabric for pooling (none to notice, for a change with Colinette) and was about half way up when it occurred to me to check my tension. Which was coming out too tight at that point (although blocking seems to have sorted it out, stitchwise at least, the rows are still out), but I liked the look of the fabric, and remembered my original cunning plan to cast on a smaller size, so decided that a bigger size coming out smaller should be just what I wanted. If that makes any sense at all - it did at the time. But this through up all sorts of questions about whether or not I'd have enough yarn, so when I came to the end of the first hank I spent ages working out how many stitches there were per piece, and how many I'd got out of the first hank, and doing all sorts of adding up to try and work it out. It seemed okay (even after I realised that I'd have to cast on more stitches for the sleeves to make them the right size, and worked that out too). Thankfully it's a fairly basic pattern to start with.
The Prism is lovely to work with, it's a thick and thin yarn, mainly wool with a thin piece of cotton wrapped round, which produces a nice tweedy fabric.
The bottoms and edges are all in moss stitch, and there are flattering vents at the bottoms of the side seams. It's just as well the yarn didn't pool, I'm not sure how you'd go about alternating two balls when both sides are finished edges and the yarn carried up the side can't be hidden in the seam.
And the collar is moss stitch too. I made it a little longer than the pattern, about five inches I think. The beauty of doing it on a circular needle was that I could just keep trying it on until it looked right.
The sleeves are semi set-in, with a little shaping at the underarm.
I'm pleased with the buttons, they finish it off nicely.
I think Mollie approves.
I'm really pleased with this cardigan, it's lovely to wear, although perhaps just a tad too small (it will be fine when I've lost a bit of weight. Honest.) I enjoyed knitting it, and with the weather we're having at the moment, it's already had a fair bit of wear. It is rubbing up a little, which is a shame, but unless it gets very bad I have plans to make another one, in more autumy colours, and a bit bigger next time. I used just under six skeins. The pattern is Melinda from the Colinette Wayfarer book, and I used 6mm Addi Turbos.
ETA - I've just remembered something else, slightly bizarrely the back has 81 stitches, yet the fronts only have 39 stitches each, making 78. Then the button bands overlap by 5 stitches, so you're down to 73, eight stitches less than the back, which is very odd. I cast on a couple of extra stitches on each front, and fudged the neck shaping to get back down to the correct number for the shoulder seams (and remembered to pick up extra stitches for the collar!), but I think that I should have gone for an extra four on each side, to even it up completely, this could be why it's feeling a bit small.